Who is eligible to get a copy of a death certificate?
- The spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased
- Other people who have a:
- documented lawful right or claim
- documented medical need
- New York State Court Order
If you are not the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased you must document a lawful right or claim. For example, you may need a death certificate to claim a benefit. You would need an official letter from the agency saying you need the death record to process the claim.
What identification needs to be submitted by the applicant?
Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver's license
- State-issued, nondriver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military-issued, photo-ID
- Two of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility or telephone bill
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
Please submit a copy of your U.S. passport in addition to the above ID if you are applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel.
Common Denial Reasons:
- Applications without proper ID
- Failure to submit a copy of their U.S. passport in addition to the required identifications when applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel